Sia Furler, reffered to mononymously as Sia, is an Australian singer and songwriter. [Wiki]
DIRECTOR: Sia and Daniel Askill
She is a very popular singer and songwriter and has written many songs for big singers like Rihanna.
Mise-en-scene + Locations
- Location seems to be in a house/apartment with the walls bare.
- The first room is what looks like the living room with a couch of a yellowing colour and a coffee table with papers on it. This conveys that this house is old and no longer in use.
- There is another room shown of a mattress on the ground and a type of grey couch. The colour scheme is in the tones of grey and beige.
- The walls in the room have drawings and a picture of a person and also a framed picture to suggest that someone once lived in there but not anymore.
- Lots of the walls look like they are decaying and that signifies that the house is empty and abandoned.
- Young girl is in a beige/nude coloured dancers leotard which makes her look slightly objectified as her legs and arms are exposed and she is wearing a tight outfit.
- Young girl is very young at least between the ages 11 to 14 this may suggest that she is representing the singer but a younger version.
- Girl sits down on the couch and does some hand movements that slightly go in sync with the lyrics being sung but in a very not literal way.
- Young girl starts to do more extreme dance movements that look exaggerated.
- The girl dances around the room which could suggest she is trapped and has to live in the decaying house.
- The girl goes into another room which looks like the kitchen which has lots of moldy spots and there are papers in the sink and the fridge is covered in papers that are wrinkled and old looking.
- The windows in the kitchen have black mold on them to further signify the fact that the house is abandoned.
- The girl is dancing in the living room which was the first shot that the music video started with.
- There are drawings that look like they were done by a child which could signify that the young girl has never been out of that house.
- Ends with the girl in the hallway.
Editing + Cinematography + Sound
- Camera zooms into the hallway of the house.
- Cuts to another room which looks like a bedroom with a wide shot.
- Non- diegetic sound of a buzzing sound than the song starts.
- Cuts to the doorway with a long shot of a young girl.
- Camera zooms in on the girl and then cuts to a shot of her feet from a low angle shot.
- Camera is handheld as it moves in a titling way to show the girl dancing and moving towards the couch.
- The girls hand movements go with the beat of the song.
- Handheld camera is used to show the movements of the dancer and to make the audience feel as if they are in the room watching her dance.
- Lots of panning and tracking shots of the girl dancing.
- Shots of the girl dancing are mostly long shots or mid shots.
- Camera tracks the girl into another room.
- Mid close up shot of the girl sitting at the table dancing.
- Not many cuts and longer shots of the girl dancing.
- Cuts to the girl going into another room. The editing is very subtle and not fast paced either.
- Wide shot of the living room and showing the kitchen in the background as well.
- Camera starts to zoom in and out as the girl is dancing.
- Wide shot of the girl dancing again in the corridor and then the camera zooms in with a tilt effect.
- Then it zooms out again to show the girl starting to move to a different room.
- Song ends with the girl standing in the hallway looking into the camera. - Direct address to the audience.
- Camera goes into soft focus until the girl is blurry and then cuts to black screen.
- Non-diegetic sound of the buzz comes in but very subtly.
Performance + Star Treatment
- This music video is Concept based and there could be a narrative but it is hard to tell what is happening.
- The singer herself does not appear in her music video as she prefers to be anonymous.
- The performance is not a literal piece but an abstract dance which signifies that what is being sung is a message which is important for the singer.
- The performance is being performed by Maddie Ziegler from the American TV Show 'Dance Moms' which is quite popular with today's generation.
- The dancer is wearing a blond wig that represents the singer who has blond hair.
- The dancer features in another music video by Sia called 'Elastic Heart' with Shia LaBeouf.
- There was some controversy over the young dancer and Shia LaBeouf dancing together because of the age difference and the outfits.
- An Article from ELLE Magazine interviews Maddie Ziegler.
- A YouTube video from Entertainment Tonight.
- The target audience would be from the young ages of 10 to 28 or older.
- Both female and a male audience would be interested in Sia, but it seems to be mostly targeted at a female audience with the dancing.
- This song was performed on The Ellen Show with the same dancer.
- This video got 37 million views of YouTube.
- There has also been a parody made that has 15 million views which goes to show that the song was a great hit and many people from teenagers to adults liked the song and the dancing.
- Narrative is shown through the dancing
- Location/setting is visually interesting
- The music video is unique and not stereotypical of pop genre music videos.
- Singer does not feature in the music video which is unusual.