TRACK: Hymn For The Weekend
GENRE: Electronic rock, pop
Mise-en-scene + Location
- Set in India
- Shows long shots of a temple in ruins with some religious men walking through the temple.
- A white peacock is shown with a low angle shot – signifies purity
- Cuts to some people playing instruments that are typical of Indian music. (close up shot)
- Cuts to a cityscape with a billboard – low angle shot
- Beyoncé the featuring singer is on a billboard – narrative
- Rocky location with featured singer walking slowly dressed in a typical Indian Sari.
- Panning and tracking shots of the city and busy traffic.
- Lead singer is sitting on a balcony with a colourful temple behind him.
- Singer back in the car looking out onto the streets and watching the different street acts.
- Long shot to panning of the lead singer going into a cinema.
- Beyoncé is the ‘film’ being shown in the cinema – lead singer sits and watches while lip syncing.
- Band is playing again in the streets with street performers dancing.
- Indian girls dancing and different cultural references.
- Temple is shown again with a high angle shot.
- Then back to the streets – near the water/sea
- Ends with the lead singer in a boat on the water and fireworks behind him – long/wide shot.
Editing + Cinematography + Sound
- Tracking shot of the lead singer from Coldplay in a car/taxi going around the city.
- Shows a series of scenes of the people in Indian and the streets.
- Cuts to a child dressed as a God from Indian religion – tracking shot.
- Lots of cuts of the singer walking around the streets with kids following him.
- Lots of close ups and mid shots of the singer Beyoncé.
- Use of slow motion editing for the coloured powder being thrown everywhere.Whole band is shown in the middle of a crowd throwing colourful powder
- Some high definition effect is used on several scenes to show the powder.
- The band is playing with cuts and mid shots.
- Lots of close ups and mid shots of Beyoncé on the cinema screen and then on TV.
- Close up of a fire blower with the effect of slow motion.
- Then the band are playing with a full drum kit, guitars and microphone to give realism.
- Music starts quietly with the featured artist humming.
- Singers are lip-syncing to the lyrics.
- Lots of cultural references of Indian
- Religious references to Gods in India
- Temples and the city
- Lots of controversy from the media as the Music Video was a “bad example of Indian culture”.
Billboard does an article about the controversy caused.
- Lots of shots of the band together
- Lead singer Chris Martin is the main focus
- Featuring singer Beyoncé is also a focus
- Females from 12 to 28 years old
- Males from 14 to 28 years old
- Male gaze – Beyoncé would attract a male audience because of her looks whereas Chris Martin will attract a female audience because of his looks or voice.
- Makeup and costumes
- Narrative based music video