ACT: Alan Walker
GENRE: Electronic Dance Music
DIRECTOR: Rikkard & Tobias Haggbom
Vocalist: Iselin Solheim
Video Location: Estonia
Actor: Shahab Salehi
Mise-en-scene + Location
- The video starts off with cuts from different locations
- - All the locations seem to be grey looking.
- - The locations seem to look abandoned and deserted.
- - Character in the music video is dressed in a hoody and jeans – male
- - Close up of the characters hands taking a photo out of his pocket. – photo is of a house with a white picket fence – American Dream
- - Character walks through the building.
- - Lots of wide shots of different locations with the character walking around
- - Character runs towards a building in the middle of water
- - Last scene shows the character finding the location of the photo from the start.
- - Character close up and then a long shot of the house from the photo looking ruined.
Editing + Cinematography + Sound
- Shows zoom ins of the locations
- Long shots of the different settings
- A laptop is shown in an abandoned building sitting on some rubble.- Lots of handheld camera movements to give a sense of realism
- The character never shows his/her face. – conveys more of a mystery
- Handheld camera follows the character as he/she is moving.
- Close up of the characters face but he/she has it covered up to his/her eyes.
- Handheld camera does a pan from the feet upwards.
- Lots of cuts from location to different locations that all look deserted
- - Character lights a flare – low angle shots
- - The different locations are cut with the music making it fast paced.- Relationship between the song and visuals.
- - There is non-diegetic sound at the start with static sound effect.
- - Then the song starts with the sound seemingly coming from the laptop.
- - No sign of the singer or Alan Walker.
- Star Treatment
- No star treatment but the initials of Alan Walker
- Singer is not in the video either
- Typical of this type of music to have the DJ and the singer not featured in the video.
- Males between the ages 14 to 25 years old
- Females from the ages 15 to 25 years old
- No artist shown
- Lots of location shots
- Cinematography is the main focus
- Editing and sound go together
- Narrative based music video